Federal nurses and contact tracers on the way as Nunavut reports another COVID-19 death
The federal government is providing Nunavut with three nurses and nine contact tracers to help manage the wave of COVID-19 sweeping through the territory.
Nunavut Premier PJ Akeeagok announced the federal assistance Tuesday during a live COVID-19 update.
Akeeagok also announced that another Nunavut resident has died from COVID-19.
“My thoughts are with the family and the community,” he said.
No details were provided about the deceased.
The territory now has 177 active cases of COVID-19 in 17 communities.
Akeeagok and other officials provided an update on the COVID-19 situation in the territory Tuesday morning at 11 a.m. ET.
You can watch the update here, on our Facebook page of Radio-Canada Nunavut or tune in to CBC North Radio One.
On Monday, Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Michael Patterson reduced the time people have to self-isolate if they are exposed to COVID-19 or return to Nunavut.
The lockdown in Nunavut was also lifted on Monday, although masks are still mandatory in all communities and the territorial government still discourages non-essential travel.
On Monday afternoon, the Department of Health announced that it had finally caught up on reporting test results. The territory was working through a backlog of results last week that had led to an unclear case count.
There were 151 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nunavut as of Monday.
On Saturday, the territory reported detecting a suspected case in Naujaat. The case was still being confirmed by tests. On Monday, the territory reported there were now five confirmed cases in the hamlet.
On Monday, the number of cases reported in the territory was as follows:
- 32 in Arviat.
- 25 in Baker Lake.
- 4 in Cambridge Bay.
- 1 at Chesterfield Inlet.
- 12 in Coral Harbour.
- 8 in Iqaluit.
- 2 in Gjoa Haven.
- 21 in Kingait.
- 2 in Kugaaruk.
- 5 in Naujaat.
- 2 in Pangnirtung.
- 1 in Pond Inlet.
- 17 in Rankin Inlet.
- 2 in Sanirajak.
- 11 in Sanikiluaq.
- 3 in Taloyoak.
- 3 at Whale Cove.
There are no more confirmed cases in Qikiqtarjuaq.
Health Minister John Main said earlier this month that the government expects COVID-19 to spread to all communities in Nunavut.