Hall of Fame accepts Alomar’s resignation from board, plaque to remain on display
The Baseball Hall of Fame has accepted Roberto Alomar’s resignation from the board, president Jane Forbes Clark announced on Monday.
Alomar, who was elected to the board of directors in 2019, presented a letter of resignation on Saturday following an allegation of sexual misconduct.
The Hall of Fame second baseman was fired last week as a consultant by Major League Baseball and placed on the league’s non-eligible list after an investigation into the allegation. Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the dismissal on Friday, saying in a statement that a baseball industry employee reported an incident earlier this year involving Alomar from 2014.
The league has hired an outside law firm to investigate the matter. MLB said it would not provide further details on the investigation to protect the individual who came forward.
WATCH | MLB sever ties with Alomar over allegation of sexual misconduct:
Clark said after Manfred’s announcement that Alomar’s plaque would remain on display in the room because “his dedication reflects his eligibility and the perspective of BBWAA voters at that time.” Alomar was inducted in 2011.
The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum also said it would not revoke his inductee status, but banned him from future Hall events and said he would no longer be associated with him or with its foundation.
Alomar was 12 All-Star in 17 seasons with the San Diego Padres, Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland, New York Mets, Chicago White Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks. He was known as a skillful outfielder, winning 10 gold gloves, and also for his temper – he spat sadly in the face of referee John Hirschbeck, earning himself a five-game ban in 1996.