Proud Boys Canada, named by Ottawa as a terrorist entity, says it is in the process of disbanding
Proud Boys Canada, a far-right group Ottawa called a terrorist entity earlier this year, has disbanded, saying it had done nothing wrong, the organization said on Sunday.
In February, Canada declared the group an active security threat and played a “central role” in the deadly attack on the United States Capitol in January by supporters of then President Donald. Trump. US authorities have indicted several members of the Proud Boys in connection with the January 6 assault.
“The truth is, we have never been terrorists or a white supremacist group,” said the statement released by the administrator of the official Proud Boys channel on Telegram.
“We are electricians, carpenters, financial advisers, mechanics, etc. In addition, we are fathers, brothers, uncles and sons,” he added.
Founded in 2016, the Proud Boys began as an organization protesting political correctness and perceived constraints on masculinity in the United States and Canada, and has grown into a group that has embraced street fighting.
The founder of the group, Gavin McInnes, is a Canadian residing in the United States.
Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said in February that national intelligence forces were increasingly concerned about the group.